Member Blogs: Tuckota Kirklan Fadgmo

Got something to say to Fish & Game Commissioners

Upland Idaho's Wingshooters Glossary

All original pictures and video posted to UplandIdaho.com are copyright of Upland Idaho LLC or the individual posting

Our home page
Hunting stories, maps, pictures, and more
Our Biology and Conservation Information
Hunting and Fishing trips and tips
Links to our affliates and friends
Shop for unique outdoor items
Become a member, sign-up, read our posts
Pages submitted by our Members

Upland Idaho Forum - Owyhee Chukar
Upland Idaho Forum
Upland Idaho Forum
Home | My Files | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Hunting
 Upland Bird Hunting
 Owyhee Chukar
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FeathrDustr
Quail>10 posts

40 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  07:15:48  Show Profile
I haven't posted for awhile, but I'm starting to get the itch to talk chukar numbers. Finally got away this past weekend for a little R&R and went fishing for a day on Owyhee Reservoir. I was surprised at the lack of chukar vocalization in the early morning, but they turned up the volume later on. I guess my bird number report is mixed. I saw two fairly large coveys (+/- 20 birds) with no chicks in tow, but I also saw several lone birds sneaking off through the rocks acting like they were drawing us away from a clutch. No chicks were seen, and unfortunately very few fish were harmed in the making of this report. It seems to me maybe some first clutches were totally lost if adult birds have coveyed back up?? And others are raising chicks that made it through the rains. Any thoughts on my observations?

Karl and Zealot
Administrator

USA
4534 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  13:37:45  Show Profile  Visit Karl and Zealot's Homepage
Thoughts...yikes!

Karl
If your dog isn't skinny, you don't hunt enough...kmd

Go to Top of Page

Matt 208
Sage-grouse>150 posts

229 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  13:55:46  Show Profile
Thanks for the report... Not quite what I'd like to hear but better than nothing at all. In past years I have tried to guess the hatch based on fishing trips. One year I saw a lot of chicks and it ended up being a bad year and another year I saw no chicks (last year) and it ended up being a good year. While I don't have anything productive to add, I don't think we should be too worried yet based on your observations.
Go to Top of Page

J.W
Quail>10 posts

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  15:38:07  Show Profile
I have been on the moutain the last couple of days and am seeing the same thing.I did see about 8 chicks with a hun .But a lot of the chukars that were up on the hill talking were singles.so i was hoping momma was with the babies and that was the go hide signal.I still think this will be a great year.
Go to Top of Page

Kirklan
Chukar>500 Posts

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  20:59:36  Show Profile
My thoughts are that this was the same spring weather and hatch conditions as last year. As I recall correctly we also had the exact same reports as last year from forum members. Not sure where the forum is putting all the posts from 3 months and older, Maybe Karl could dig them up. I remember ChukarCory going to Owyhee Res last July/Aug and giving the same type of report. I know how my season went last year, so I'm still pretty optimistic. I'll do a survey In Oct. and let everyone know how the hatch went.

Go to Top of Page

FeathrDustr
Quail>10 posts

40 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  08:22:00  Show Profile
Thanks for the thoughts guys...I'm still very hopeful for bird numbers for this fall. I have seen some hun chicks and I've seen droves of little bumble bee quail. As good as the chukar numbers were at the end of the winter, I'm expecting that even moderate nesting success will result in strong populations.
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Blue Grouse>50 posts

93 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2011 :  08:09:44  Show Profile
spent several days fishing O last week..never heard or saw a chukar in sveral areas where they are traditionally common as can be. fwiw
Go to Top of Page

ChukarCory
Sage-grouse>150 posts

268 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  00:42:56  Show Profile
I believe that I predicted a slightly higher bird count then the year previous, which is exactly what I got. I have heard from a buddy who's been training a new GSP near my favorite spot that he's been seeing a sharp uptick in birds versus the past few years. I've read that chukar have a 2 year life span on average, and if you have a couple bad years it takes roughly 4-5 years for a population to rebuild. I think that's about where we're at, roughly 4 years since the fall of our discontent....2007.
Go to Top of Page

Tuckota
Supporting Member - The Legend!

1425 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2011 :  13:07:48  Show Profile  Visit Tuckota's Homepage
I went for a good ride this morning to a place I haven't chukar hunted in over ten years. It wasn't the Owyhees but I felt this was as good a place as any to post. I drove most of the way in during dark hours until I hit the bad roads. They actually have improved a little and this spot is going to be back on my agenda even though I didn't see a chukar or hun. But I didn't get my tail out of the vehicle except to take pictures either. This place always seems to hold lots of chukars and some huns. I remember we always saw quail on the road going in but I don't ever remember seeing them in the numbers I saw today. I can't tell you how many quail I saw but between the babies and adults I'd guess between 400 and 500 birds. The little ones aged between one day and four weeks old. Most were in the one week range.
Those little quail can disappear quicker than huns and chukars. There was times when there ould be 30 or 40 little ones with three or four parent couples and they would totally disappear before I could get out of the rig and take pictures.
Anyhow, if the quail over there did that well, I'm sure the chuks and huns did also. Keep the good news quiet and let's go have a blast.
There was probably a dozen of these little buggers when I tried to snap the picture but the rest must have gone to the bush.

These were the largest babies I saw.

Even saw some hen pheasants down lower but with no chicks that I could see.

Tuckota

http://tuckerschukars.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ryfly
Supporting Member

USA
563 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2011 :  14:37:10  Show Profile
Apparently all the birds are in Socal.

http://www.sbsun.com/sports/ci_18526436
Go to Top of Page

Tuckota
Supporting Member - The Legend!

1425 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2011 :  16:19:53  Show Profile  Visit Tuckota's Homepage
Great read. I believe Oregon and Idaho will be real close to those expectations.
Tuckota

http://tuckerschukars.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kstitz
Hatchling<10 posts

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2011 :  18:22:36  Show Profile
You guys are killing me! I am so exited to make my first trip to Idaho this October. Thank god I am super busy so it makes the time go by quicker.

Please keep these updates coming.

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

Shrthrcrzy
Supporting Member

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2011 :  10:22:07  Show Profile  Visit Shrthrcrzy's Homepage
Can't wait til September 15th. I'm taking 5 days off to go hunt Blue Grouse.. Gonna get one mounted if I shoot a nice big male this year. You still want a fan from one Karl??

" Never kick a fresh Turd on a hot day"
-Harry Truman

Edited by - Shrthrcrzy on 07/24/2011 15:18:31
Go to Top of Page

Anthony
Sage-grouse>150 posts

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2011 :  13:17:02  Show Profile
I drove around on the ATV's Thursday on the gravel roads with the family and saw a couple of coveys of grouse. There were around 6-7 birds in each covey, what I was assuming were family groups. I'm thinking maybe the blue grouse had a better hatch than last year. Didn't see any coveys last year in this area, just doubles and singles.

Go to Top of Page

Karl and Zealot
Administrator

USA
4534 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2011 :  19:15:05  Show Profile  Visit Karl and Zealot's Homepage
Great pic Anthony.

Karl
If your dog isn't skinny, you don't hunt enough...kmd

Go to Top of Page

Bruce Cummings
Supporting Member

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  17:33:04  Show Profile
Fished the lower river yesterday & this morning. Saw only one covey of chukar. Looks to be another mediocre to poor year in the canyon.

Bruce Cummings
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Upland Idaho Forum © 2010 Upland Idaho LLC Go To Top Of Page